Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Greatness of Parents


These are my crazy, wonderful, supportive parents. 

On the left you have them cheering me on at The Portland Marathon! I had no idea they were going to be at mile 18 and as I was struggling to keep my pace and keep my mind on finishing they popped up and gave me that boost that kept me going till the finish line! 

And below is them being weird on christmas morning. They also know how to make me laugh!  
The reason I am showcasing my parents is because today is their anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have been married 34 freaking years!

It is hard for me to put into words what my parents have done for me over my lifetime. When I sit down and think about them and all they have done it brings tears to my eyes because I do not know what I would do without them.

I have always been an awkward child. I struggled at sports, I struggled in school, I struggled being open with what was going in my life.

I am a quiet soul and I can imagine that was difficult on my parents, never really knowing what was going through my head and yet they worked to make life a blessing for me.

They didn't force me into sports, they didn't even make me stay at one school, they let me transfer schools 4 times in 6 years. When I dropped out of college the first time they didn't judge me, they pushed me to follow my dreams and supported me through beauty school. When I decided I had to go back to college they still encouraged my adventurous spirit.

When I ventured down the wrong paths of life they didn't force me back on to the right path, they let me wander and unconditionally loved me as I found my way back.

And even know as I struggle to find where my next steps of life are going to take me they support me and love me.

I mean I live in their freaking basement and I am almost 25! I never thought I would be that child but life circumstances created a different path for me and my parents welcomed me home. They are nurturing me and being my rock while I rediscover who I am.

It is easy to take advantage of parents and not want to spend much time with them, especially at my age but I learning to embrace my time at home. I don't know where life is taking me next but I cherish the days I get with my parents.

They are the people with the unconditional love that allow me to be me. I sometimes forget that and go out and looking for acceptance and connection elsewhere but I have acceptance and connection right at home that has the ability to heal and love me and build me back up until I can stand on my own two feet again.

There are no words to thank my parents for what they do for me, but I can commemorate them on their anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment