Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Rediscovering Beauty

It was a bad day at work, like a really bad day.

I love my job because I love working with my students. I think they are the most wonderful little people who deserve the world. My students have been dealt an unfair hand and I just want to be able to make something a little better in their lives.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing their little faces smiling and to see happiness in their day, but there are days at work when my students don't smile and there is no happiness.

It breaks my heart and part of me is scared I will become calloused towards the population I work with.

I remember when I first started at my job. I would do anything for my students to make them smile. Then slowly I became less flexible, started enforcing more rules, became less lenient. I was thinking about that on my run today. I struggle with teaching my students how the world actually works and just giving in and letting me have their way for once.

It is a complex balancing act of working with my students to teach them how to function in society but also show them the world is not full of all evil.

Sometimes I have to remind myself the world is not full of all evil.

Have you ever just sat down and thought about the beauty of the world?

Yesterday I watched the sunset. I listened to the bird chirping. I felt the cold breeze that reminded me that I am whole and living a glorious life.

This morning I did yoga and watched the sun rise over the mountain. The silhouette of the mountain showed me there are bigger things in life to conquer.

As I sit and write this blog I am watching a a couple walk the down the street, connected simply with their hands and yet it says so much. To hold hands is like an offering to let someone know they are not alone.

We shouldn't have to search for the good in the world. But our minds are warped to see the evil, to fixate on it.

I do it at work, I concentrate on the things my student's shouldn't be doing and what they could do better. Yet I know they need the positive reinforcement of everything they do right.

Just like we need the positive reinforcement of everything that is right in world.

Being human is a glorious gift. We cannot forget that or let the evil in the world blind us from the beauty.

Take a moment and look around now and appreciate what is surrounding you.

I believe that there is a subtle magnetism in nature, which, if we unconsciously yield to it, will direct us alright. -Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment