Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Chocolate Yo.

Forest Gump, easily one of my favorite movies of all time.

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what ya gunna get"

Like could a statement really be any better than that?

Life is sweet and full of goodness but until you choose which part of life you are going to enjoy it can seem ridiculously overwhelming.

You may call me a fattie but yes I have been overwhelmed by the decision of what chocolate I will eat out of a chocolate box (I must remind you though that I am a VERY picky chocolate eater, I only like certain types of chocolate, the type of chocolate that doesn't really taste like chocolate!)

I remember this one time in high school my mother gave me a box of truffles that were every flavor but chocolate. I think it had 12 truffles in the box. We were on my way to a therapy session and I proceeded to eat every truffle before we arrived at therapy.

My family will never let me live it down. I mean it is kind of impressive that I could eat 12 truffles in a twenty minute time period and not even be phased by it.

I have always been one to eat my feelings, but I regress.

What I am talking about is LIFE! Sweet, delicious life!

It is human nature not to always like life, just like not everyone likes all chocolate flavors.

So what happens when we eat a chocolate we don't like? Do we keep eating it? No! (or at least I assume most people wouldn't) We put the damn chocolate down and try another one.

So why is it when we get ourselves into situations in life we don't like we sit with it the for a while? What makes us creatures of habit to keep doing something we get no enjoyment out of?

If the situation is healthy, like vegetables I understand why we stick with it. We need it to live, but when it is sugary chocolate that makes our blood sugar go whacky, why do we stay?

Can we begin to look at life and realize that if we don't like something there are other options?

I think we get afraid there is nothing more out there. That when we find something that is OK we stick with it.

Fear is dangerous. We have to keep trying and get through the bad to find the good and make life absolutely delicious!

“20 years from now you will be disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the one’s you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain 

No comments:

Post a Comment